Workout log for January 18, 2010 through January 24, 2010

Tuesday, January 19, 2010: This was a good run at the gym - 4.5 miles on the track in about 50 minutes. I find that I am probably fueled mostly by my unholy fury at people who cannot walk in the walk lanes despite multiple signs indicating that they should do just that. I think it is amazing that I consider this to be a fairly low-impact workout at this point in my life.

Thursday, January 21, 2010: Back to the track for a 60 minute run. I made it 5.5 miles, with no hard breathing until the last 4 laps. I picked it up to a 10 minute mile pace, which is something I apparently cannot sustain now. It felt pretty good though, and I am mostly just impressed with the rate at which I can zone out and block the world in order to finish an unpleasant task - 5.5 miles is 44 laps.

Saturday, January 23, 2010: Did a long run with a group of girls that are doing the race. There were six of us, and three immediately peeled off and were out of sight before we made our first real turn. We ran all over Athens' East Side - through neighborhoods, up roads, past parking lots and shopping centers and fast food places. It was a really nice run, and the other 3 of us were fairly leisurely and 2/3 of us did not have to stop. I actually chatted with my other running partner the entire time, and felt great. I will hopefully pace her during the real race, if she does not get too competitive. We ran 8.5 miles in about 1 hour 40 minutes, including traffic stoplight time.

Side Notes: Things are finally back on track. I am always surprised by what sort of hell I have to go through to learn something new about my body but I am starting to pick up on more subtle cues more easily so we will see if that helps. The race is two weekends away and if I can stop talking, I think I will either be able to pick up my pace or finish the whole thing - definitely not both.