Ok, I admit it. I watched the first XFL game tonight. For all the hype I expected something at least mildly exciting, but it was just as boring as regular NFL style football. I guess you can count on hype never to fail to disappoint.

So much speculation was based around what violent innovations Vince McMahon would bring--with his background in professional wrestling, and all that. I think NBC should have received more attention for their role in creating this spectacle. NBC has been developing a style of sports coverage since, at least, the Atlanta Olympics--a style of montage that pretends to delve into the biography of the Athlete only to prove, again and again, that triumph over adversity is what distinguishes athletes from mortals. With the XFL games they've attempted to add an immediacy along the lines of "Reality TV", i.e. a spurious immediacy focusing (with multiple shaky camera angles) on the rude conflicts that arise from the clash of posturing of various types of non-actors.

The most ingenious aspect of the production is the pervasiveness of the camera. In the XFL, camera crews get more of a workout than the athletes on the field; an interviewer is ready at every play to ask the hero just how he feels about missing that last pass.

Which brings me to the point of this node. For whatever reason, Running Back Rod Smart, #30 for the Las Vegas Outlaws did not wear a jersey that read "Smart" (perhaps the reason is obvious.) Instead, Smart's back read "He Hate Me"--I assume we have McMahon to thank for officialy opening this new medium to Atheltic self-expresion. The shirt drew the attention of the XFL's honorable commentator, Gov. Jesse Ventura (I-Mn.), and an interviewer was immediately dispatched to the Las Vegas' 40 yard line.

"Rod Smart, who hates you?"

"He hates me, man. Can't you see his eyes looking at me?"

Hmmm. Perhaps the XFL should borrow a little more from pro wrestling. They're already choreographing the endzone dances. Maybe the teams could also script their taunts and badassery. They need to develop more coherent characters if this league is to succeed.