Little Birdy started in June 2002, when Katie Steele (Luke Steele from Sleepy Jackson's little sister) wanted to play guitar instead of keys. She got Simon (from One Horse Town) to play drums orginally, until Scott (from Fourth Floor Collapse) and Matty (from Adora) joined the line up. These days Scott plays bass, Matty plays drums and Simon plays guitar. Katies songwriting talent and astonishing voice can now be used to make some rocking pop songs. Little Birdy are presently doing gigs around Perth, and looking to do their first recording in the near future.

With all the recent debate about internet music piracy, an Australian band and label have decided to fly in the opposite direction.

Perth quartet Little Birdy have made their song “Relapse” available for free downloading from the Triple J website ( www.abc.net.au/triplej).

Triple J picked up a demo recording of the song a few months ago. Now this new version is receiving high rotation airplay on the station. The group announced the free download initiative during a live show at Triple J’s outside broadcast in Fremantle on Friday.

According to the group’s label, Eleven: a music company, the download will be available as a timed out MP3 file. The song will also be part of a limited edition 7” single release that will be in stores on August 18th.

To promote this single release, Little Birdy will do gigs in West Australia, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne before heading overseas for a number of showcase performances in London and New York next month.