Goliath of Gath was an "uncircumcised Philistine" (1 Samuel 17:26) who stood "six cubits and a span," or nine foot nine, if the Google calculator is to be trusted. He was champion of the Philistine army when it met that of Saul in the valley of Elah, not too far from Ephesdammim (which is between Shochoh and Azekah, in case you were wondering).

Goliath came forth and taunted the men of Israel for forty days. He bade them choose a man to come down and fight him in the valley, and the winner's army would take home the loser's as slaves. No one had the nuts to do battle with the giant, and for good reason. Here's how he was armed:

  • Helmet of brass upon his head
  • Coat of brass mail weighing 5,000 shekels (about 125 pounds)
  • Greaves of brass upon his legs
  • A target (a kind of small shield or buckler, used as a defensive weapon in war) of brass between his shoulders
  • A spear, the staff of which was "like a weaver's beam" (2 inches to 2 1/2 inches in diameter), and the iron head of which weighed 600 shekels (about 15 pounds)
  • Some poor schmo walked in front of him, carrying and presumably wielding his shield for him

According to Saul, Goliath was "a man of war from his youth." A badass whom none among the host of Israel would stand up to.

Then along came David. He convinced Saul to let him fight Goliath because, though just a boy and a shepherd, he had (according to himself) slain a lion and a bear that tried to make off with his sheep. Saul even loaned him armor for the fight, though David took it off since it was too heavy and went out only with a staff and a sling.

Goliath was understandably insulted. "Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves?" Instead of the dramatic showdown he had asked for, all he got was a boy with a bagful of stones.

Turns out it was enough. A single stone from the sling of David "sunk into his forehead" and Goliath fell. (Fire that shield guy, I say.) According to Scripture and contrary to most casual recountings, Goliath wasn't quite dead yet...David strode up and stood upon him and smote his head right off his shoulders with his own sword.

If that weren't enough ignobility for this giant man of war, his head was presented to Saul in Jerusalem. Well, those are the risks you take as a cocksure Philistine facing the God of the armies of Israel, I guess.

Sources:

1 Samuel 17
http://www.google.com/
Webster 1913
http://www.sundayschoolresources.com/biblestoryactivities2.htm
http://www.searchgodsword.org/enc/isb/view.cgi?number=T9154