GDMA Jewish mafia: an offer you can't refuse

Last week I found somewhere to get a good New York-style bagel, where the owner is a gruff but attentive servant of his customers. I got my "everything bagel toasted with vegetable cream cheese", and chatted with Gary as my bagel toasted. I asked him how the day was going, it was slow, because dammit it was a Monday. Fridays and Sundays, better. Sometimes Wednesdays. David had come out of the back, occasionally answering a blaring cell phone. I browsed the display case, wondering if I'd ever get something else.

"Could I also get a raisin twist? They look good today." (he eyes me, judging my sincerity and haircut)

"You had 'em before?" (he finishes the cream cheese, wraps and bags my bagel)

"Well, no. But I'm looking forward to it." (he grabs another bag, throws two twists into it. eyes me some more.)

"You gonna see your girlfriend tonight?" (my turn to stare)

"Uh... yeah?" (he walks to the other side of the display case, holds up a bagel flecked with purple)

"You give her blueberry bagel, yes?" (he fills the bag with four more) "She'll love you forever."

(it didn't look much like a diamond ring, but who knows?)
"Sure thing."
($2.00 even, out of $20.00)