Lifi (acronym for the English term equivalent to light fidelity—LI-Fi—) is a substitute system for WiFi. It is fast and low-cost wireless communications, the bidirectional data transmission technology faster than Wi-Fi. The term was first used in this context by engineer Harald Haas during the TED Conference held in 2011 on visible light communication and the subset of optical wireless communications (OWC) and a complement to RF radio frequency communications (wifi or mobile networks) or the substitute for data broadcasting. So far, measurements show that it is 100 times faster than some Wi-Fi technologies, reaching speeds of up to 224 gigabits per second. It consists of wireless communication that uses visible or near ultraviolet (UV) and near infrared (NIR) light of the electromagnetic spectrum (instead of radio frequency waves), part of optical wireless communication technology, which carries much more information, and It is intended to be the solution to bandwidth limitations.

LED lighting is becoming today's popular technology, and is used to illuminate homes, buildings, companies, businesses, etc. Lifi technology aims to use this type of lighting to transmit information to any device perceptible to LED light or that is within its area of ​​incidence, through changes in light intensity. Therefore, lifi technology consists of transmitting information through LED light.

Lifi is a type of Internet connection that uses technology that is characterized by transmitting information through LED light that could reach 10 Gbps speed. This is because the light turns on and off up to 10 billion times per second, which causes the information to be transformed into binary form (0 and 1); This characteristic is used to be able to send information through the light wave.