In 1999 the Miami-Dade city council voted to allow a certain impoverished district in the Downtown area be host to approximately 10 venues with unrestricted operating hours and liquor licenses. Obtaining one was on a first-come, first-served basis, and was free as long as you provided proof of a valid business plan for a building in the area.

All ten were immediately spoken for, and work soon began on the first of the new 24 hour clubs, the now-legendary Club Space. Critics bashed the idea, citing the fact that no one would seek out entertainment in an area inhabited by degenerates and bums. In March 2000, with a heavy police presence, Club Space opened to a capacity crowd of 4000 people. The idly curious showed up, as well as media, and people sick of the upscale antics of nearby South Beach. The club was a hit, boasting a state-of-the-art EAW sound system and a Martin lighting array spread across 3 warehouses and a patio.

The critics silenced, other developers unveiled their projects, including many short-lived clubs, and a successful 24-hour strip-joint notorious for its VIP suites at 7 in the morning. The city was thrilled to have at least 2 successful venues in the area, providing a new tax base and an impetus to clean up the impoverished area.

Currently, Club Space operates until at least 2 PM on Saturday nights and Sundays, later when a guest DJ shows up. Goldrush, the strip club, might as well not have locks on it's doors, as it never closes.