First tasted on June 27, 2024, my 58th birthday, at dinner with my daughter and her family, and was served as an accompaniment to grilled chili-lime chicken thighs and a side dish of Mexican street corn pasta salad as well as some additional sliced fresh avocado seasoned with lime juice and freshly ground black pepper. A non-dairy Tres Leches cake was made and served for dessert. For several years now, sometime between Father's Day and the end of June, we get together to share a celebratory dinner that she has prepared. And, with every one of my new health challenges, she adapts and prepares the menu accordingly. Thus, no more variations of pot roast (too much sodium) or Red Velvet cake (all the best contain real dairy). And, no longer able to take dessert leftovers with me (prediabetic by the numbers).

In her words:

"that avocado sauce was just a bunch of stuff thrown in a blender until I was happy 😂 avocado, lime juice, lime zest, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper spice, fresh parsley and cilantro, cracked black pepper, raw jalapeno, cumin, olive oil and red wine vinegar. I think lol. Tried to thin it out and make it ‘sour’ enough that it didn’t taste like guacamole"
I didn't watch her as she prepared the sauce so am unable to approximate a recipe and can only record the remembered ingredient list for posterity if one wants to attempt a re-creation. That, and to let it be known that henceforth the creation will be known as Birthday Sauce.



The true moral of this write-up?


Who needs a recipe when cooking with love?



Cook's Ingredients - Recipes from A to E - Sauce Recipes