Sheep’s milk (ewe’s milk) is highly nutritious and offers several health benefits. Most comparable to camel and water buffalo milk, it contains more fat, protein, and lactose than either cow’s or goat’s milk, making it richer and creamier. This high nutrient content makes it ideal for producing dairy products such as cheese. It also makes a very smooth, rich, and creamy yogurt.

One cup of sheep’s milk provides about 265 calories, 14.65 grams of protein (including all ten essential amino acids), and 17.15 grams of fat. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin E, calcium, phosphorus, and zinc. These nutrients contribute various health bonuses, such as boosting the immune system, promoting growth, and potentially reducing the risk of cancer. Two cups of either milk or yogurt provide the daily requirement of calcium, riboflavin, and five out of ten essential amino acids. The calcium-to-phosphorus ratio in sheep milk is also nearly perfect for human nutrition.

Sheep’s milk is particularly valued for its high levels of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been linked to improved cardiovascular health and reduced body fat. Additionally, its higher medium chain fatty acids or triglyceride (MCT) content (approximately 25 percent) supports such things as improved lactose and cholesterol digestion.

Its rich composition (double the amount of solids over cow or goat, including butterfat) allows sheep’s milk to be used to make a full range of specialty cheeses; PDO cheeses like Roquefort, Pecorino Romano, and Manchego; and exceptional everyday cheeses like fetas and ricottas.

Individual research, exploration, and experimentation are all highly recommended, especially along with foods including orange, rosemary, and truffle. Just ignore the lack of awareness, perceived high price, cultural preferences, and limited marketing efforts that have hindered its popularity.




294 words for
Brevity Quest 2024