Collection of nebulae, stars, dust, and other matter that is typically tens or hundreds of thousands of light years in diameter.

Galaxies come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes. Our galaxy, which we call the Milky Way is a spiral galaxy, so named because, suprisingly enough, it looks somewhat like a spiral. IIRC begin cluelessness , our galaxy has 3 spiral arms, each with a particular name - the spiral arm we are in is called the Saggitarius arm. (?)(sp?)

end cluelessness

Galaxies are typically described by their form. Some common types: I used to know a lot more, but it has been years since I was an astronomy nut...sorry :)

Galaxies are organised into groups and superclusters of anywhere from a few to millions of galaxies. Our galaxy's group, the oh-so-originally named Local Group, contains many galaxies, of which ours is the second largest. The largest galaxy in the Local Group is the Andromeda galaxy, which is visible to the naked eye on a good night.

Our galaxy has two smaller galaxies orbiting it: the Small and Large Magellanic Clouds, or LMC and GMC for short. Galaxies are generally thought to have black holes at the center; ours, apparently, is no exception.

One more fact (?): apparently, the arms of a spiral galaxy are not 'really' there. The illusion is caused by 'waves' of star formation which 'ripple' around the galaxy, propelled by supernovae triggering nearby nebulae to contract into new stars. Components of a galaxy do, however, orbit the center - just not at the same speed as the arms.