1. Pablo Picasso
and Georges Braque
upon the world. Picasso paints his seminal Les Demoiselles d’Avignon
2. The Lusitania
and the Mauretania
are launched into transatlantic
3. The bubonic plague
, killing 1.2 million people.
4. Irish playwright John Millington Synge
’s The Playboy of the Western World
5. The Second Hauge Conference
tackles the problem of global disarmament
and establishes important conventions of international law
6. The flow of immigrants
to the US peaks at 1.2 million.
7. Pope Pius X
purges the Modernist
movement from the church.
8. Philosopher Henri Bergson
introduces the idea of élan vital
("life force") in his work Creative Evolution
9. The Panic of 1907
– depositors deplete the cash supply in a run on US banks.
10. Carl Hagenbeck
opens the first modern zoo
11. The "mad monk" Rasputin
enters the inner circle at the Czar
12. Dr. Sun Yat-sen
proposes democratic reforms in China
13. Bud Fisher
’s Mutt and Jeff
is the first comic strip
to run during the week.
- Our Times: The Illustrated History of the 20th century