The follwing are the winners of the Nobel Prizes in 2000:

Peace
Winner: Kim Dae Jung, president of South Korea.
Reason: “for his work for democracy and human rights in South Korea and in East Asia in general, and for peace and reconciliation with North Korea in particular.”

Medicine
Winners: Arvid Carlsson (Sweden), Paul Greengard (U.S.) and Eric Kandel (U.S.)
Reason: “for their discoveries concerning signal transduction in the nervous system.”

Physics
Winners: One-half to Zhores I. Alferov (Russia) and Herbert Kroemer (U.S.), one-half to Jack S. Kilby (U.S.)
Reasons:
Alferov and Kroemer: “for developing semiconductor heterostructures used in high-speed- and opto-electronics.”
Kilby: “for his part in the invention of the integrated circuit.”

Chemistry
Winners: Alan J. Heeger (U.S.), Alan G. MacDiarmid (U.S.), and Hideki Shirakawa (Japan)
Reason: “for the discovery and development of conductive polymers.”

Literature
Winner: Gao Xingjian (China)
Reason: “for an oeuvre of universal validity, bitter insights, and linguistic ingenuity, which has opened new paths for the Chinese novel and drama.”

Economics
Winners: James J. Heckman (U.S.) and Daniel L. McFadden (U.S.).
Reasons:
Heckman: "for his development of theory and methods for analyzing selective samples."
McFadden: "for his development of theory and methods for analyzing discrete choice.”

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.