Ad*min"is*ter (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Administered (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Administering.] [OE. aministren, OF. aministrer, F. administer, fr. L. administrare; ad + ministrare to serve. See Minister.]

1.

To manage or conduct, as public affairs; to direct or superintend the execution, application, or conduct of; as, to administer the government or the state.

For forms of government let fools contest: Whate'er is best administered is best. Pope.

2.

To dispense; to serve out; to supply; execute; as, to administer relief, to administer the sacrament.

[Let zephyrs] administer their tepid, genial airs. Philips.

Justice was administered with an exactness and purity not before known. Macaulay.

3.

To apply, as medicine or a remedy; to give, as a dose or something beneficial or suitable. Extended to a blow, a reproof, etc.

A noxious drug had been administered to him. Macaulay.

4.

To tender, as an oath.

Swear . . . to keep the oath that we administer. Shak.

5. Law

To settle, as the estate of one who dies without a will, or whose will fails of an executor.

Syn. -- To manage; conduct; minister; supply; dispense; give out; distribute; furnish.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ad*min"is*ter, v. i.

1.

To contribute; to bring aid or supplies; to conduce; to minister.

A fountain . . . administers to the pleasure as well as the plenty of the place. Spectator.

2. Law

To perform the office of administrator; to act officially; as, A administers upon the estate of B.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ad*min"is*ter, n.

Administrator.

[Obs.]

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.