Alternative Environmentally Sound Transportation

In order to reduce the environmental contamination caused by the overuse of automobiles, environmentally "sustainable" forms of transportation have become a necessity over the past decade. Considering the fact that there are so many affordable and environmentally friendly methods to answer the problem of over-use of energy for transportation, it is shocking that the internal combustion gasoline engine is still in use today. Vehicles can obtain their electrical energy through a variety of sources such as "fuel-cells", "bio-diesel" as well as being hybrid to run off of electricity and a secondary fuel source. All of these opportunities to power your car are economical, efficient and most importantly environmentally friendly.

Of the many overwhelming problems caused by automobile transportation emissions, most if not all can be remedied by converting to environmentally sustainable forms of transportation. Approximatly fifty-percent of the United States air pollution, such as "CO2" which causes global warming, is released into the atmosphere by gasoline combustion. Some forms of fuel; such as bio-diesel have less than fifty-percent of the amount of ozone forming potential of hydrocarbon emissions than regular diesel fuel. Although it is expensive, the option for an emissions-free hybrid car is out there. Not only are these vehicles emitting pollutants into the "atmosphere", they are depleting the earth as well by consuming fossil fuels at a rate far grater than the fuels can be replenished. This exponential depletation of fossil fuels causes damage to the earth as well as communities in the Middle East which are under siege of oil wars over this pinned for superfluous product.

The discovery at the turn of the century of how to refine oil into that high-powered liquid called "gasoline" opened the door to the automotive age, and environmental dedrigration. Throughout the world, many governments have been supporting superefficient cars. Since the 1960’s Brazil has been promoting fuel-cell cars that run off of a mixture of "ethanol" and gasoline, which reduced greenhouse gas emissions by ten-percent. In the United States, unfortunately, corporations have only been putting efforts into the environment since 1985. Some companies such as General Motors were using fuel cells on experimental vehicles prior to this, in 1967 they produced a limited number of the "Electrovan". This is shocking considering the fact that Fuel cells started with Sir William Grove in 1839, and were used in the space program her in America since the 1950’s. The concept of using vegetable oil as an engine fuel dates back to 1895 when Dr. Rudolf Diesel developed the first diesel engine to run on vegetable oil. Diesel demonstrated his engine at the "World Exhibition" in Paris in 1900 using peanut oil as fuel.

Today many companies such as "Honda", Toyota and General Motors have efficient hybrid electric and hydrogen vehicles on the market from cars to sport utility vehicles.

The two primary types of environmentally friendly vehicles are hybrid and fuel cell cars. Hybrid cars are basically electronic cars without batteries. The cell converts a fuel's energy into electricity by harnessing a chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen instead of burning fuel. Being three times more efficient than gasoline combustion Hydrogen fuel offers an enormouse force. There are many methods to extract Hydrogen fuel such as: tap or distilled water, methanol, natural gas and compost from "decompossed biomass". Unfortunatly, hydrogen is highly combustable and the United States lacks a hydrogen re-fueling infrastructure, the industry is attempting to popurlaze these vehicles and instate an infrastructere along the freeways of America with high fire safety standards. The second type of engine is a fuel-cell engine that runs off of non petroleum fuel such as biodiesel. Biodiesel is the name for a variety of ester-based oxygenated fuels made from hemp oil, other ve getable oils or animal fats. Unlike regular diesel engines, biodiesel engines require a clean-burning, stable fuel that performs well under nearly any conditions. Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel that can be used directly in any existing, unmodified diesel engine. Because it has similar properties to petroleum diesel fuel, biodiesel can be blended in any ratio with "petroleum" diesel fuel.

From the array of information that I have gathered, I would like to believe that hemp oil powered biodiesel vehicles are the answer to preventing further environmental dedrigration from automobiles. The hemp car is an alternative-fuel project car that utilizes hemp biodiesel for fuel. The "hemp" car appitimizes environmentally friendly transportation by being fuel from the planet that does not cause any harm to the planet. Bio-diesel vehicles that use hemp oil are an economical form of transportation despite the illegality of cultivation of hemp. There are no psychoactive properties in this 'industrial' hemp and legislation should take the benefits of hemp fuel into consideration in altering this legislation. Unlike other superefficient fuel modes, bio-diesel is safe to handle and can be easily obtained by virtually anyone. One important factor in considering the use of bio-diesel fuel is that in the calculation of costs and benefits the benefits far outweigh the costs. Ther e are economic benefits such as adding value to "feedstock" used for fuel, increasing industrial jobs as well as increased taxes from these jobs, improved trade and commerce due to these factors, and reductions in health care and environmental dedrigration due to the improved air quality from the reduction of greenhouse gasses.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.