Brand of morphine sulfate

Indications
Moderate to severe pain when continuous opioid analgesia is needed for an extended period. Not for PRN use.
Dosage for adults
Initially 30 mg once daily without prior opioid use. If switching from other oral morphine products, give the total daily oral morphine dose as Avinza once daily. The dose may be increased by 30 mg every 4 days with the maximum dose being 1.6 grams/day. Use 60 mg and higher strengths for opioid-tolerant patients only. The pill me be swallowed whole, or the contents sprinkled on applesauce and swallowed immediately. It should not be crushed, chewed, or the beads dissolved. Doses should be ndividualized.
Dosage for child
Not recommended under 18 years old
How supplied
Capsules - bottle of 100
Additional Information
Pharmacology: Avinza is a modified-release capsule formulation of morphine sulfate. It contains both immediate-release and extended-release components. The extended-release component consists of beads that gradually release morphine using osmosis. The dose of Avinza must not exceed 1.6 grams per day because this product contains fumaric acid which may cause renal toxicity at higher doses. The intentional abuse of this product in a manner that causes the immediate release of the entire daily dose of morphine can result in toxicity and fatal overdose Intravenous abuse may lead to serious pulmonary and cardiac complications due to talc in the formulation.
Date of most recent Update
August 2, 2002
Further information is available in the writeup for the generic name of this medication - This writeup is intended only for provided information not for prescribing or using this medication

See Writing up medication

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.