It was coming late in his career when Ben Webster decided to record a set of gigs down at the Jazzhus in Copenhagen, Webster was following in tradition when playing at this venue, following in the footsteps of players such as Cannonball Addelery, Bill Evans and Stan Getz.

Although this album was recorded in 1965, it was only released as part of Webster’s Discography in 1998, there are also an additional 2 recordings which Webster made after the first one in 1965. As always with Webster and his playing you get such a lyrical sense in his playing, the weeping notes and soft sub-dominant sounds, which he creates in this album, are classic Webster, here though there is a difference.

Accompanying Webster on that gig was Kenny Drew(piano) Nils-Henning Orsted-Pedersen(bass) and Alex Riel(drums), combining this suburb rythmn section with Webster unique style of playing really did mix it up. For example Drews be-bob style of playing always offered you something exciting in which you really didn’t... no make that couldn’t know what was coming next.

There are a lot of ballads on this album, and Webster shows his best form on these particular tunes, Somewhere over the rainbow and Misty really striking out and hitting you on the head with a big ol'shovel. Some people would really call these tunes "sleepers" but however because of Webster’s moving solos and the backing of the rhythm section it makes really enjoyable listening.

I dont think that this album would be great for people who have just started to listen and get into Webster and his playing, I know some people who are also players who would quite happily destroy every Webster cd ever made cause of his style, sometimes the weeping sound and sometimes over the top vibrato can cause some people to shiver.

Genre:Jazz

Track List:

  1. Sunday
  2. That's All
  3. Gone With The Wind
  4. Over The Rainbow
  5. Indlana
  6. Misty
  7. Our Love Is Here To Stay
  8. My romance
  9. Blues For Herluf
  10. Londonderry Air
  11. Set call (The Theme)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.