A quasi-board game created by Steve Jackson Games in the nineteen-eighties, in which players recreated battles between heavily armed and armored cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles. The game was set in a post-apocalyptic America not unlike the Australia of Mad Max or Roger Zelazny's novel Damnation Alley, where roving car warriors would fight marauding motorcycle gangs, and the finest autoduellists would entertain the public by engaging in heavy-firepower demolition derbies to the death.

The game was played on paper maps which represented sections of highway, towns, or arenas, and used either illustrated cardboard chits or lead miniatures to represent players' vehicles. The game turn was divided up into fractions of a second, and the rules of the game defined probabilities that a vehicle could complete a certain maneuver in a given amount of time, taking into account such factors as the vehicle's weight, velocity, components, and, of course, the effects of being hit by various weapons. In addition to moving the cardboard or lead representations around the board, players kept track of their vehicles' statistics on sheets of paper, where they also recorded damage inflicted (by gunfire, explosions, and of course, collisions). The vehicles themselves were usually designed by the players (according to the rules), with design limits coming in the form of a pre-agreed upon cost ceiling.

The original game came in a small ziplock baggie, but it was soon followed by many more sophisticated and complete versions, and spawned numerous follow-ups and additions (including the tongue-in-cheek magazine AutoDuel Quarterly, which always included a few new nifty weapons and components). It even gave birth to a roleplaying game set in the CarWars universe (which, I believe, was later incorporated into GURPS).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.