Cauliflower wings are a vegan alternative to buffalo wings. They are currently quite trendy, and are a common appetizer at restaurants that want to include vegan offerings on the menu. Fried and baked broccoli and cauliflower are very good, and are made better by adding breading and/or flavorings, but to be clear, they taste nothing like chicken. Likewise, this is a clear case of vegan does not mean healthy, although these are certainly healthier than traditional buffalo wings.

Disclaimer: I don't use recipes much; I just add what sounds good, and cook until done.


Simple Cauliflower Wings:

Get some cauliflower florets, some oil (or parchment paper), and a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to ~425 degrees.

Breading: Mix some flour, spices (garlic, cumin, paprika, black pepper, onion, salt, you know, spices! Do what you feel), and a mix of about 50/50 water and your choice of milk (I don't know that oat milk will work, but I don't see why not; almond and soy are fine). You want this mix to be thick but still pour-able. All you are doing here is mixing some breading, so if you like to add a second coat of bread crumbs, corn meal, or whatever else, go for it!

Once the florets are fully coated, place them on the greased baking sheet and stick them in the oven for 10 minutes, flip them, and cook for another 10.

Take them out, and coat them lightly with hot sauce, BBQ sauce, or the like (I recommend using a basting brush). Cook them a bit more to let the sauce caramelize, which should not take more than 10 minutes.

These are best eaten while hot.


Iron Noder

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.