Narrator: Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Larry the Cucumber presents, in a sequential image, stereophonic, multimedia event, The Song of the Cebu!
Larry: [...] This is a song about a boy. A song about a little boy, and his cebus. A song about a little boy, and his three cebus. The little boy who had a sick cebu, a sad cebu and a mute cebu. (And also a hippo.)
[...]
Archibald: Hold it! You call this a multimedia event? This is a slide projector and a bed sheet! And what on Earth is a cebu, anyway?
Larry: It's kind of like a cow. See?
Archibald: Yes. Well, very good. This could be interesting. Carry on!

Besides being a region of the Philippines (which encompasses Cebu Island and its major city, Cebu City), a song by the Commodores, a furniture company, an international school and a doctors' college, a cebu is a cow-like animal that is the subject of "the Song of the Cebu," a Silly Song with Larry from VeggieTales.

The song tells of the boy and his three cebus, who are riding in a canoe along a river that has a hippo in it. The cebus take turns rowing, oblivious to the impending doom of the hippo. Only the mute cebu sees the hippo before the collision, but his frantic efforts to warn the others ("waving and grunting, 'mmm mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm' ") are—
      —well, the projector jams, and we don't find out. Archibald's insatiable curiosity ("Does the hippo see them? Is the poor mute cebu successful in communicating the imminent danger to the other passengers? Is the boy injured? Why is the sad cebu sad? Is the canoe wood or aluminum?") is unquenched, Larry mistakes a water buffalo for a cebu, and the audience walks out.

The song is on the video The End of Silliness?, released in May of 2000.

Interesting to note is that, while there is no animal (that I know of) called "cebu," there is a "zebu." The zebu's scientific name is Ros indicus, and is a docile cattle-like animal common in India, with a hump and long horns. They're even thought to be the world's oldest domesticated cattle. More information can be seen at zebu.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.