Chicken Fricasee

This is called Pollo con le Cipolle in Marcella Hazan's book Marcella's Italian Kitchen. The cooking time is nearly 2 hours but since it's a stew it could be prepared a day in advance and reheated if that better suits your schedule. You really do need to cook the onions for an hour to bring out the desired texture so don't be tempted to skimp on cooking times. You could use 2 lbs of your favourite chicken pieces (I used thighs) or true to the original recipe, use a 2-3lb bird cut into 8 pieces.

The chicken is very tender, and the gravy is delicious. It works great with sweet vegetables or even just sopped up with crusty bread.

Ingredients Method
  1. Thinly slice the onions.
  2. In a covered saute pan large enough to accomodate all the chicken pieces, simmer the onions and olive oil on low heat for 1 hour.
  3. Wash and dry the chicken pieces and in another saute pan heat the vegetable oil.
  4. In batches, coat the chicken pieces lightly in flour and brown on both sides.
  5. After browning lightly season each batch of chicken with salt and pepper.
  6. When the onions have simmered for the prescribed hour remove the cover and turn the heat up. Saute the onions to a light golden colour.
  7. Add chicken pieces to the onions, tossing gently to coat the chicken pieces with the creamy onion mixture.
  8. Add jigger of brandy and simmer covered on low heat for at least 45 minutes.
  9. Just before serving garnish with chopped parsley.
Notes
  • 1/2 c flour in a bag should be enough to coat the chicken pieces. Shake one at a time in the bag and shake off the excess flour before adding them to the pan.
  • If you can manage to do 2 things at once you can start browning the chicken after the onions have gone for about 40 minutes, just remember to take keep an eye on them after you turn the heat up.
  • If you can't manage that, take the onions off the heat after sauteing and return them to the heat when the chicken is browned.
  • To reduce the amount of fat in this dish use skinless chicken.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.