CINNAMON COUSCOUS WITH CHICK PEAS

Try this one guys. It’s quite unusual, but for those with a taste for the exotic, it’s a must. This is a Lebanese vegan dish and it’s really quick and easy to prepare. I’m sure you’ll love it, everyone I’ve ever made it for has.

INGREDIENTS

300 grams couscous

250 grams chick peas

1 large onion (preferably Spanish)

loads of ground cinnamon

olive oil

METHOD

Soak couscous in hot water (in fact cold water works too). Just put enough water in so that it’s about 2 or 3 cm above the level of couscous in the bowl. (It’s best to put in less water to start and check what the couscous is like, you can always add more – if you put too much in, just drain it off, it works). Add salt. Mix it around and wait. The couscous will absorb the water. Once it has, mix in a bit of olive oil to keep it from becoming gluggy. I find it best to use my hands, to get right in.

Peel and chop onion into about 6 cubic pieces. Lightly fry in olive oil. Add chick peas and salt. If you’re using dry chick peas, pre-soak them overnight and boil for an hour or so, otherwise they can come straight out of a can. Cover contents with ground cinnamon. BE GENEROUS. It may seem like you’re using too much, but you’re not. It’s fantastic. Cook for a few minutes. You may have to cook for longer if you’ve used pre-soaked dry chick peas in which case put them in before onion.

Now mix couscous in with chick peas and eat it. Your taste buds will love you!

NOTE: Cinnamon is actually really good for you. It can reduce blood sugar levels and cholesterol in diabetics. It also supports digestion, relieves congestion, relieves muscle joint pain, stimulates blood circulation, it’s an anti-inflammatory, it can prevent urinary-tract infections, tooth decay and gum disease and it can kill bacteria. Wow!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.