Clapham's Ferry is located about five miles east of Lucketts, Virginia, along the Potomac River.

The ferry was started by Josias Clapham, a Revolutionary War hero, in 1757. Clapham was in competition with Philip Noland, who operated Noland's Ferry three miles upstream. To cross the river, Clapham charged four pence for a person, and the same price for a horse.

The Clapham family operated the ferry until 1816, when it was taken over by William Hawling. Hawling bought the land from the Claphams in 1820, and eight years later the property was divided among his heirs.

The land was later combined again with additional acreage, and in 1833 sold to John Spinks. The ferry then became known as Spinks' Ferry, and operated until the Civil War.

Over the years, floods have washed away the remains of whatever buildings were on the bank of the river. However, a stone house built on higher ground (probably the ferryman's home) still exists today as a private residence.

Clapham's (Spinks') Ferry was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.