Classroom. A word bearing connotations of learning, knowledge, and enthusiasm. A place where students spend approximately seven hours, five days a week, nine months a year, and twelve years a lifetime. One would assume that such a place would be bright, cheerful, comfortable and free of distractions. But they are not. The walls of the classrooms are a pasty and sickly off-white, the lights are cornea-burning fluorescents which hum incessantly, the desks are too small and rigidly plastic, the floor is either molding or chipped, and far too many teachers are closed-minded pedants who do not enjoy teaching. There are some good things about the classrooms though, such as interesting wall dents for students to stare at and ponder the cause, holey ceiling tiles, great for trying to find the number of holes per square inch, tiny windows through which students can read and reread the locker posters, rubber bands, and of course a student's own thumbs, incredibly suited for twiddling.

It is highly unlikely that colorful rooms, better furniture and sunlight would help increase the learning potential, especially since they have been scientifically proved to do so. Scientists probably do not know what they are talking about anyway, even if they spend years studying such things amd learning. Besides, who needs comfort and pretty walls when we have migraines and back aches? The Puritans would be proud. The way the classroom environment has remained steadfast and unchanged though centuries of transformations and improvements in the rest of the world should earn it a place in the Guiness Book of World Records. It could be titled the longest running type of room still observing interior decorating from the 16'th century.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.