Before the Federal League came into existence in 1913 to compete with Major League Baseball, entrepreneur John T. Powers tried unsuccessfully two other times to form a competing league. His first attempt was the Columbian League in 1912.

Set up in its home base of Columbus, Ohio, the 6-team league would consist of teams in Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and two yet-to-be determined cities (most likely Cleveland and Chicago.) The league itself had modest goals - it would serve more as a secondary league, rather than in direct competition with MLB. Plans for a 60 game schedule from May to July were made; franchises were set up, a few players and employees were hired, and in Pittsburgh, a new stadium underwent construction.

Unfortunately, lack of interest in the league in a few exhibition games scared off most of Powers' investors, and the league folded without ever playing a single official game. Two months later, Powers was back with new investors in his even more ambitious US League, and finally in 1913 he received enough venture capital and backing to start the Federal League, and become the man who almost revolutionized baseball.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.