Once a year our business has a small "team building conference"   It is usually at a big hotel downtown on a weekend.  We start Friday afternoon with several small meetings ("break out sessions") and then end it with a big wrap up thing on the second day.  In between these meetings was a small dinner and a lot of drinking. 

Jim and I work in the same section on the Third floor and after several Rum and cokes, he said he was going to bed.  I stayed behind to watch what was left of the ball game on the Big screen and maybe pretend that the waitress was interested in seeing me later.   She wasn't.   

As I was getting ready to leave the bar I noticed Jim had left his wallet at our table, under one of the big cloth napkins there at the bar.  The big red ones,  so its not a shock he left it there. 

I guess he was lucky no one had come by and just picked it up.   So I decided to do my Good deed of the day and I walked out to the lobby and asked the front desk what room he was in.  I should have just left it there, at the desk, but I decided I would just walk it to him, since my room was on the same floor as his. 

When I knocked on the door Jim answered,  and although he was mostly dressed, I could see his shirt was unbuttoned and he seemed a bit out of breath.  Over his shoulder I could also see Beth, from accounting, sitting on the bed,  looking at the floor.   She still had her glasses on, but was holding a sheet up against her, so I guessed that was about all she was wearing.   

I handed Jim the wallet and then left the room as fast as I could.   I didn't say anything to her, because seriously, what could I say.   The next day Jim did not come down for breakfast and I checked out without seeing him.  Or Beth.  

A few weeks later as I was going to the fifth floor to see about our out of service fax machine I bumped into Beth.  As in literally, bumped into her as I was getting into the elevator.   Sorry, I said.   It's ok, she whispered, but also avoided any eye contact and scooted around me and down the hallway.   I almost asked her if she thought the Team Building had been a success,  but I'm not that big of a jerk.   

Ok, I thought about it, but didn't say it.  

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.