Sometimes you just know you need to get out more. Maybe I'm sensitive to grammatical errors now that I'm learning programming for my Uni course, maybe I'm just an anal retentive asshole.

Yesterday, I was watching the BBC News, and saw the tragic story of the 18-year-old leukemia patient who died after a doctor injected an anti-cancer drug into his spine, instead of his vein, where the drug was supposed to go.

When the recorded report ended, and the studio presenter was talking to the correspondent, she (the correspondent) said something like "...the drug was wrongly administered to the patient..."

Back up, I thought. "Wrongly administered" implies that the drug should never have been administered in the first place. But it should have been, just not in the spine. The correct thing to say would have been "administered wrongly".

Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference, though. The BBC do a great job, and overall representation of the facts is, IMHO, far more important than tiny mistakes which only nitpickers like me will notice, or even care about.

The ironic thing, however, is that my grammar is probably a lot worse.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.