I was thinking about masks and the whole "masks don't work" or "masks are unproven*" thing. That is complete and utter crap. We proved masks work YEARS ago.

If they don't work, do you mind if your surgeon don't wear one? What about your nurse with a cough when you are in the ICU? I think we have proved quite definitively in the operating room that masks work.

Also, your family doc and OBgyn ain't gonna NOT wear a mask when delivering baby because it can be REALLY SPLASHY. And some patients who are delivering a baby have hepatitis B or HIV or hepatitis C or whatever. WE DO NOT WANT TO CATCH IT SO WE WEAR MASKS. MASKS WORK.

And take tuberculosis. Tuberculosis bacillus is tiny and can be air borne, if you have active tuberculosis and cough. We use reverse flow rooms in the hospital with an airlock: a door to a small entry room, that has to close before you enter the inner patient room. And the air is slightly lower pressure so that air comes in from the airlock but doesn't flow out. All the air out of the room is filtered to catch and kill the tuberculosis bacillus. We go in the airlock and put on nearly full gear: gown, gloves, mask, hair covers, shoe covers. When we come out, we take it all off in the airlock. We also keep a stethoscope in the room so that we don't carry infection from patient to patient.

So the whole anti mask thing seems categorically insane to me.

Like, didn't we figure out masks work back before the civil war? Or thereabouts. No, maybe later than that. Without masks and gloves we had all the women with post baby fever, who died like flies and most people died of infection after surgery. Until that coke addict at Johns Hopkins made people wear clean clothes and wash their damn hands before each surgery and wear gloves. Suddenly people survived post surgery at a much higher rate. Everyone came to train with him to imitate him. And so a brilliant coke addict invented medical residency, which is why residents are not allowed to sleep. We've gotten over that a bit.

Anyhow: masks work. Think, people, think.

Usually the unnews qualifies this as "masks are not PROVEN to work with Covid-19". What, you want a ten year clinical trial first? Are you crazy? And the resounding answer is "YES!"
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/how-to-reuse-n95-kn95-and-other-disposable-masks/?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20220120&instance_id=50856&nl=coronavirus-briefing®i_id=165651500&segment_id=80291&te=1&user_id=c97a1a8547f511fe3bd45b0806ed713c&utm_campaign=RSS+Feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=rss

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.