Crip"ple (krip"p'l), n. [OE. cripel, crepel, crupel, AS. crypel (akin to D. kreuple, G. krüppel, Dan. kröbling, Icel. kryppill), prop., one that can not walk, but must creep, fr. AS. creópan to creep. See Creep.]

One who creeps, halts, or limps; one who has lost, or never had, the use of a limb or limbs; a lame person; hence, one who is partially disabled.

I am a cripple in my limbs; but what decays are in my mind, the reader must determine.
Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913


Crip"ple (krip"p'l), a.

Lame; halting. [R.] "The cripple, tardy-gaited night." Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Crip"ple, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Crippled (-p'ld); p. pr. & vb. n. Crippling (-pl?ng).]

1.

To deprive of the use of a limb, particularly of a leg or foot; to lame.

He had crippled the joints of the noble child.
Sir W. Scott.

2.

To deprive of strength, activity, or capability for service or use; to disable; to deprive of resources; as, to be financially crippled.

More serious embarrassments . . . were crippling the energy of the settlement in the Bay.
Palfrey.

An incumbrance which would permanently cripple the body politic.
Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913


Crip"ple, [Local. U. S.]

(a)

Swampy or low wet ground, often covered with brush or with thickets; bog.

The flats or cripple land lying between high- and low-water lines, and over which the waters of the stream ordinarily come and go.
Pennsylvania Law Reports.

(b)

A rocky shallow in a stream; -- a lumberman's term.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.