Dif"fer (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Differed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Differing.] [L. differre; dif- = dis- + ferre to bear, carry: cf. F. diff'erer. See 1st Bear, and cf. Defer, Delay.]

1.

To be or stand apart; to disagree; to be unlike; to be distinguished; -- with from.

One star differeth from another star in glory. 1 Cor. xv. 41.

Minds differ, as rivers differ. Macaulay.

2.

To be of unlike or opposite opinion; to disagree in sentiment; -- often with from or with.

3.

To have a difference, cause of variance, or quarrel; to dispute; to contend.

We 'll never differ with a crowded pit. Rowe.

Syn. -- To vary; disagree; dissent; dispute; contend; oppose; wrangle. -- To Differ with, Differ from. Both differ from and aiffer with are used in reference to opinions; as, "I differ from you or with you in that opinion."" In all other cases, expressing simple unlikeness, differ from is used; as, these two persons or things differ entirely from each other.

Severely punished, not for differing from us in opinion, but for committing a nuisance. Macaulay.

Davidson, whom on a former occasion we quoted, to differ from him. M. Arnold.

Much as I differ from him concerning an essential part of the historic basis of religion. Gladstone.

I differ with the honorable gentleman on that point. Brougham.

If the honorable gentleman differs with me on that subject, I differ as heartily with him, and shall always rejoice to differ. Canning.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dif"fer, v. t.

To cause to be different or unlike; to set at variance.

[R.]

But something 'ts that differs thee and me. Cowley.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.