Don Tennant was born in Sterling, IL in 1922. He earned a degree at Knox College in Galesburg, IL, and during World War II served as a lieutenant in the Navy.

After the war, he moved to Chicago and began his career writing and producing for network radio programs. In 1950, Tennant joined the Leo Burnett ad agency as its first full-time radio-TV writer and producer. In 1952, he created Tony the Tiger character to sell Kellogg's Frosted Flakes cereal. In 1955, he came up with the idea for the macho Marlboro Man to promote Marlboro cigarettes.

Over the years, Tennant came up with other popular advertising slogans such as the Pillsbury song, "Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the oven," and United Airlines' signature theme, "Fly the Friendly Skies of United."

After resigning from Burnett in late 1970, Tennant worked for Clinton E. Frank, and in 1973 he started his own company, Don Tennant Advertising. In 1987, the company was bought by Nobel Communications Co. He remained as a consultant until the late 1990s.

Tennant died of congestive heart failure on December 8, 2001 at his home in Los Angeles. He is survived by three children, Andy, Tim, and Tracy, and six grandchildren.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.