Drawing Room Dances by Henri Cellarius Appendix
Previous Chapter

See images of the original pages of this chapter starting at

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=musdi&fileName=037/musdi037.db&recNum=166

APPENDIX
BY THE
ENGLISH EDITOR.

THE ENGLISH QUADRILLE.

The quadrille can be danced with four, eight, twelve, or indeed any number into which the number four will divide; care only being necessary, when the number is very great, and the room much crowded, to understand which couple is your vis-à-vis.

First Figure—Le Pantalon

Wait eight bars.

First and third couple, Chaine Anglaise, (eight bars).

Balancez and turn partners (eight bars).

Chaine des dames, and turn partners (eight bars).

Demi chain and promenade to places (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (thirty-two bars).

Second Figure—L'éte

Wait eight bars.

First lady and opposite gentleman advance and return, chassez right and left (eight bars.)

Cross over and again chassez right and left (eight bars).

Re-cross; the four balancez and turn partners (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (twenty-four bars).

Third Figure—La Poule

Wait eight bars.

First lady and opposite gentleman cross, presenting the right hand, return presenting the left, and give the right to their partners, forming a line from top to bottom (eight bars).

Set, holding hands and half promenade to opposite sides (eight bars).

First lady and opposite gentleman advance, return, advance again, and turn (eight bars).

The four advance, and return, demi chain to places (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple.

Fourth Figure—Trenise

Wait eight bars.

First couple advance and return, advance again, when the gentleman leaves the lady on the left of the opposite gentleman, and retires to his place (eight bars).

The two ladies cross over, changing sides while the first gentleman also crosses over between them, the same repeated brings them back (eight bars.)

The four balancez, and turn partners (eight bars.)

The same for the other three couple (twenty-four bars.)

OR
LA PASTOURELLE.

Wait eight bars.

First couple advance and return, advance again, when the gentleman leaves the lady on the left of the opposite gentleman and retires (eight bars).

The two ladies and the third gentleman join hands, advance and retire twice (eight bars).

The first gentleman dances alone (eight bars).

The four join hands, make a demi rond to the left, separate, and make a demi chain to places (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (thirty-two bars).

FIFTH FIGURE—L'INCONSTANT

Commence with the music.— Grand rond—chasse croisé, grand chain, or promenade (eight bars).

First and opposite couple advance, retire, again advance and change partners (eight bars).

Advance, retire, advance, and rejoin partners (eight bars).

Demi chain and half promenade (eight bars).

Same for the other three couple (twenty-four bars) finishing with either the grand rond, chasse croisé, grand chain or promenade.

LANCERS. FOR EIGHT ONLY.

First Figure

Wait eight bars.

The first lady and opposite gentleman advance and return, again advance and turn each other to their places (eight bars).

First and third couple cross over, first couple passing between the lady and gentleman of the opposite couple going over, and outside of them returning (eight bars).

Each gentleman sets to the lady at his left, and turns to his place (eight bars).

The same figure for the other three couple (twenty-four bars).

Second Figure

Wait eight bars.

The first couple advance, retire and again advance, the lady remains in the centre, the gentleman returns to his place (eight bars).

First couple set and turn to their places (eight bars).

First couple separate, facing each other, the other six form in two lines by their sides—all advance and retire, then turn partners to their places (eight bars).

The same figure for the other three couple (twenty-four bars.)

Third Figure

Wait eight bars.

First lady advances and stops; third gentleman does the same; the lady retires, the gentleman does the same (eight bars).

The four ladies hands across, the four gentlemen chasse to the right and left, and are ready to hand their partners to their places (eight bars.)

The same for the other three couple (sixteen bars).

Fourth Figure

Wait eight bars.

First couple advance turning towards the second, to whom they bow, then turn and set, to the fourth (eight bars).

First and fourth couple chasse croisé, and back again, first couple return to their places (eight bars).

First and third couple, English chain (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (twenty-four bars).

Fifth Figure

Commence with music.

Grand chain of the eight (sixteen bars).

First couple advance and make a demi-tour sur place; second, fourth and third couple place themselves behind them, thus all the ladies are in one line, all the gentlemen in another (eight bars).

The eight chasse croisé and return (eight bars).

The ladies march off to the right, the gentlemen to the left towards the bottom of the set, where each gentleman meets his lady, but leaves her again to form the line as before (eight bars).

Each line advances and retires, advances again when each gentlemen turns his partner to her place (eight bars.)

The same for the other three couple (forty-eight bars.)

CALEDONIANS. FOR EIGHT ONLY.

First Figure

Wait eight bars.

First and opposite couple hands across, and back again (eight bars).

Set and turn partners (eight bars).

Chain des Dames (eight bars).

Half promenade and demi chain (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (thirty-two bars).

Second Figure

Wait eight bars.

First gentleman advances, returns, advances and returns again (eight bars).

The four gentlemen set to ladies on their left, turn with both hands, each lady taking the next lady's place (eight bars).

Grand promenade (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple, so that at the fourth time each lady will find herself in her own place (twenty-four bars).

Third Figure

Wait eight bars.

First lady and opposite gentleman advance and retire, advance again and turn to their places (eight bars).

First and third couple cross over, first couple passing between the lady and gentleman forming the opposite couple going over, and outside of them returning (eight bars).

The eight set and turn to their places (eight bars).

All set in a circle to the left once (eight bars).

Same for the other three couples (thirty-two bars).

Fourth Figure

Wait eight bars.

The first lady and opposite gentleman advance and stop; third lady and opposite gentlemen the same, set and turn partners to places (eight bars).

The four ladies move to the right taking next lady's place and stop (four bars).

The gentlemen do the same to the left (four bars).

The same is repeated by both, which brings all back to their places (eight bars).

Promenade and turn partners to places (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (thirty-two bars).

Fifth Figure

Wait eight bars.

The first couple chasse round the inside of the set (eight bars).

The four ladies advance into the centre, join their right hands on high and retire (four bars).

The four gentlemen do the same (four bars).

The eight set and turn partners (eight bars).

Grand chain half round, half promenade to places, and turn partners (sixteen bars).

The four gentlemen change places with the four ladies, all turn corners and return to their places (eight bars).

The same for the other three couple (forty-eight bars).

Finish the fourth time with either grand rond or chasse croisé.

Spanish Dance

The Spanish dance can be danced by any number of couples, which are arranged in two lines, the ladies on the left, the gentlemen on the right. Before beginning, the first couple change sides. The step and the music is the same as in the waltze. The figure is composed of three parts. The first couple advance, return and change places with second couple four times (sixteen bars).

The first and second couple join hands, advance, return and turn to next place four times (sixteen bars.)

The two couples waltze round each other twice; the first couple changing places with the second so as to be ready to go on with the dance with the third (sixteen bars).

END OF APPENDIX.


Previous Chapter
Drawing Room Dances by Henri Cellarius Appendix

See images of the original pages of this chapter starting at

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=musdi&fileName=037/musdi037.db&recNum=166

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.