Looking back on it a year later...

Let me be frank: Eamon's Eminenya sucks. Big time. The music behind Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" isn't real Enya but instead a cover song. The chorus ("I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady...") is mixed one measure off. Eminem sounds like Simon Seville from Alvin and the Chipmunks. And even with a good MP3 encoder such as LAME or Fraunhofer, 96 kilobit/sec MP3 isn't enough to do either Eminem or Enya justice, let alone both of them layered together.

After six hours of editing, we're proud to present...

Eminenya 2.0, engineered by Damian Yerrick of Pin Eight, fixes all that. The music is loops from Enya's recording of "Orinoco Flow", slowed down using a sophisticated time stretch. It's still a radio edit, but each "offensive" word has a different bleep or sample associated with it: fuck => 1000 Hz sine wave; shit => synthesized flatulence; bitch => a dog barking; VD => "video" sample from "Video Killed the Radio Star"; etc.

http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~yerricde/em/ has the song in 120 kilobit/s Ogg Vorbis format, or you may be able to find a copy floating around on one of the P2P networks.

(conform gave me some good ideas for 2.1)

Conceptually funny, but the implementation lacks oomph. While yerricde's version is much more professional than the original, both versions suffer from the ultimate flaw that the Orinoco Flow background has no punch to it.

Contrast with the Evolution Control Committee's Whipped Cream Mixes, which are an impeccable and hilarious layering of Public Enemy's Chuck D rapping over Herb Alpert instrumentals. The first song starts with a spoken intro from an A&R rep introducing a new work by Alpert. The song starts, a simple Alpert opening. A few bars into the song right as the listener wonders why you are playing them Herb Alpert, Chuck D busts out with a loud, in-your-face "Yes!" and on into the song (the vocals are taken from the song Rebel Without a Pause) and invariably the listener gets a huge grin. The contrast between the two pieces of music is sharp, whereas Eminenya has pretty much all of its impact in the title.

The Whipped Cream Mixes can be found at http://www.detritus.net/ecc/gunderphonic/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.