"Whatever type of music I sing, I bring my optimistic sadness, I put my yellow filter on life and welcome everyone into my hazy world. I put some Erlend Øye porridge into the mix."

As half of quiet-pop duo Kings of Convenience, Erlend Øye's talent and versatility epitomizes the emerging music scene in Norway. A product of musical hotbed Bergen (Sondre Lerche, and the members of Röyksopp also hail from there), Øye made his major label recording debut with Quiet is the New Loud in March 2001. A longtime listener of The Smiths and The Red House Painters, Øye's collaboration with fellow King of Convenience Eirik Glambek Bøe, would be a major turning point in pop music. Subtle, graceful, tuneful, and introspective, the success of Quiet is the New Loud went on to prove the veracity of the Kings' proclamation.

Their second offering, Versus, also released in 2001, made the Kings acessible to the dance pop scene. The album features twelve tracks off the first album remixed by artists such as Röyksopp, Ladytron, Four Tet, and Evil Tordivel. Some critics hailed this album as even better than the first, since it was their opinion that the original recordings all tended to sound very similar after a while.

The Röyksopp collaboration resulted not only in a superb remix of I Don't Know What I Can Save You From, but also eventually inspired Øye to delve into the world of dance pop. While Eirik Glambek Bøe went back to school to complete his degree in psychology, Øye cut his teeth doing the vocals for two Röyksopp tracks, Poor Leno and Remind Me, that appeared on Röyksopp's ethereal debut, Melody AM. The epiphany was complete after a visit to the Koneisto electronic festival in Turku, Finland. As Øye describes it, following the festival he was struck by "...a desire to write and record in a much quicker way, with Kings Of Convenience, there was so much perfection involved. I wanted to write songs that were more now, that reflected my present state of mind."

This desire conceived Unrest, the 2003 album consisting of ten tracks resulting from collaborations with ten different artists in ten different cities. Working with artists ranging from Prefuse 73, Minizza, Morgan Geist, Soviet, and Björn Torske, Øye travelled from Barcelona, Rome, Rennes, New York, Sweden, Finland, to Berlin, where he currently resides. An album that perfectly captures Øye's personality, especially his inability to remain in the same place for very long, Unrest is an innovative and explorative classic of modern synth pop. Unrest took Øye from varied locations such as music festivals, clubs, massive audiences, and even one man's East London home, as Øye became known for sometimes singing along to his own tracks and dancing with the audience rather than remaining in the DJ booth.

His 2004 release, an entry into the DJ Kicks series, was heavily influenced by the German microhouse trend, with several distinct Øye twists. As a "singing DJ", Øye infuses DJ Kicks with his unique tunefulness by singing over at least half of the 18 tracks on the album. His most recent releases include two electronica singles, A Sudden Rush in February 2004, and Black Keys Work the following April.


Album Discography

With the Kings of Convenience:
The Kings of Convenience, 2000 (Kindercore)
Quiet is the New Loud, 2001 (Astralwerks)
Versus, 2001 (Astralwerks)
Riot on an Empty Street, 2004 (Astralwerks)

Solo:
Unrest, 2003 (Astralwerks/Virgin)
DJ Kicks, 2004 (K7)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.