1. What is your name?

Shawn "Fruan" Poulsen.

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I've just completed my BA in Theatre and Film studies, after spending far far too much of my life not achieving much of anything in the decade or so since I first tried working towards a degree. Which actually happens to be relevant to the next question...

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

Way back when, I started studying towards a degree in Computer Science. This degree was never completed, but it did result in my discovering Slashdot, and shortly thereafter the original Everything. This was during the awkward interregnum between E2 going live and the links on Slashdot being moved away from E1, but I was thankfully directed to the much more lively site by the denizens of #everything.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

My favorite node of all time has to be A moral system based on more and better sex, mostly due to the fond memories of the rambling conversations between Pseudomancer and myself that led up to it. Wooly Mammoth's appetite is a close second.

I'm not really fond of any of my own writeups anymore; I never wrote anything of any worth or wit for E2.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I think I'll always fondly remember the magical hours spent just as most North American noders were finally succumbing to sleep and the European noders hadn't quite shown up again, when Sensei kept the nodegel calm for the respite.

I've let myself forget all the unpleasant memories as much as possible. There were so many occasions in which passions overwhelmed reason, but the details fade with time. All I remember now is that at the time everyone thought it was all so important.

6. What keeps you coming back?

Nostalgia, I guess. E2 doesn't have the spark that kept my attention so firmly anymore, but I keep hitting that bookmark hoping to see it again anyway.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

That it can endure, in some form or other.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

Good memories, fading fast.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I'm not even going to try to list them; there's too many.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

In all honesty, I'd probably end up played by an extra.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

Soy.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

I think you covered it.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact Fruan or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.