Around here (South Dakota), you will enter a world where meat goes by many names.

Why this occurs, I know not, but the fact is that you'd better pay attention when ordering one of those ground hamburger with little bits of tomato sauce served on a bun things.

I call it a BBQ. If you order a BBQ, most people will understand what the hell you want. But in some places, they call a BBQ a Tavern. Just down the road, you might find that the menu doesn't call it a tavern, but instead calls it a sloppy joe.

Drive a little further west, and you'll find signs proclaiming the lunch special to be a "new way." Even further West, and you might hear it referred to as a steam burger. In the northwestern corner of Iowa all the crazy Dutch people call it a "made right". Just across the border in Nebraska, they call it a Tastee. Further south from made right country, folks refer to their sandwiches as loose meat sandwiches.

Technically, a BBQ isn't of the same composition as a tavern. The Ma Leischner recipe for a tavern includes ground hamburger and chicken gumbo condensed soup among other things.

Some people like a little ketchup and mustard in their taverns. I do not. I subscribe to the KISS Principle so that crap can stay the hell away from the Sloppy Joe, aka Loose meat, aka new way....you get the point.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.