display | more...

Flag"eo*let` (?), n. [F. flageolet, dim. of OF. flajl (as if fr. a LL. flautio;us), of flaute, flahute, F. flte. See Flute.] Mus.

A small wooden pipe, having six or more holes, and a mouthpiece inserted at one end. It produces a shrill sound, softer than of the piccolo flute, and is said to have superseded the old recorder.

Flageolet tones Mus., the natural harmonics or overtones of stringed instruments.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.