A famous speech delivered by Woodrow Wilson to Congress on January 8, 1918 regarding World War I. While the largest purpose was to bring Russia into the war, Wilson's oratory the Allies to make greater efforts and demoralized the enemy governments by holding out alluring promises to their minorities. Leaders of Allied nations and Republicans were not for the Fourteen Points and referred to them as the "fourteen commandments of God Almighty Wilson."

The Fourteen Points were:

1. A proprosal to abolish secret treaties (liberals in all countries really liked this).
2. Freedom of the seas.
3. A removal of economic barriers among nations.
4. Reduction of armanments burdens.
5. An adjustment of colonial claims in the interests of both native peoples and the colonizers.
6. Evacuation of all Russian territory.
7. Evacuation and restoration of Belgium.
8. All French territory freed and invaded areas restored.
9. A readjustment of the frontiers of Italy effected along clearly recognizable lines of nationality.
10. Austria-Hungary given opportunity for autonomous development.
11. Evacuation and restoration of Rumania, Serbia, and Montenegro.
12. The Turkish portion of the Ottoman Empire assured a secure sovereignty.
13. Erection of an independent Polish state.
14. A general association of nations formed under specific covenants for the purpose of affording mutual guarantees of political independence and territorial integrity to great and small states alike. (foreshadowed the League of Nations)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.