display | more...

One of the earliest architects in Australia, Francis Greenaway (1777 - 1837) is remembered today for such buildings as Saint Matthew's Church at Windsor, New South Wales, the lighthouse at South Head at the entrance to Sydney Harbour and Saint James's Church, Sydney.

Trained as an architect in England, he was transported to Australia for forgery and arrived at Sydney in 1814. As the colony had a shortage of trained personnel Greenaway was given a ticket-of-leave by 1815 and was designing and constructing buildings for Governor Macquarie. Among those buildings were the stables for Government House (now the New South Wales Conservatorium of Music), and the Court House at Windsor. In 1819 he was given an absolute pardon.

He remained as civil architect and assistant engineer to the colony until 1822, but was dismissed from government service after demanding an architect's fee in addition to his salary. He then continued in private practive and in his spare time attempted to farm a land grant on the Hunter River.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.