Frank Trenholm Crowe was born October 12, 1882, in Trenholmville, Canada. He graduated from Dummer Academy in Massachusetts in the June of 1901. He then enrolled at the University of Maine, graduating in Maine of 1905. 1910 saw him married to Marie Sass, who died scarcely a year later. He remarried in December of 1913 to Linnie Korts, and with their daughters Patricia and Elizabeth lived in Boise, Idaho. He died February 26, 1946, in Redding, California. His societal memberships included ASCE, BPOE, Masonic Order, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Tau Beta Pi, and Rotary Club.

Crowe worked on many dams for the United States Bureau of Reclamation and private contractors, including Arrowrock Dam, Tieton Dam, McDonald Lake Dam, Combie Dam, Deadwood Dam, Parker Dam, and Shasta Dam. By far his most notable accomplishment is the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River. He was general superintendent of construction for this massive project from 1931 to 1938. Over the course of that dam's construction, oversight of the Six Companies Incorporated and organizing the construction infrastructure including the ingenious cable way transportation system were major factors in the Boulder Canyon Project's success.


Primary reference: http://www.umeciv.maine.edu/ce/features/alumni/fcrowe.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.