Born 1834, died 1902, married to Mary Ann Edwards Tuttle. A born storyteller, he supported himself through wood engraving until he finally had literary success. He became an integral part of the children's magazine St. Nicholas as both author and assistant. Failing health forced him to resign, but he continued writing through dictation until his death.

His most famous story is The Lady, or The Tiger?, a story where the reader's choice of ending is quite revealing. His second major fictional work is the collection of stories about Ting-a-ling, a small fairy. All his children's stories have a general lightheartedness to them appropiate to fairytales, though there is also an adult edge to them that todays' Disneyfied fairytales lack. For an example of his style, I quote a passage from The Bee-Man of Orn.

"The Youth, who had now lost every trace of languid feeling, took a great interest in the matter, and early the next morning started off to inform the Junior Sorceror that the Bee-Man had discovered what he had been transformed from, and desired to be changed back to it."

His children's works are still in print and available from online retailers. His more adult work, such as A Northern Voice for the Dissolution of the Union and The Adventures of Captain Horn still exist as well, but only for outrageous prices.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.