A brilliant forward, Best is arguably the most notorious footballer of all time. He was blessed with every attribute one could ever wish for in an attacking player - he had technique, intelligence, pace, an ice cool eye for goal, and more than anything else, loved the ball at his feet. On the field of play he will always be remembered for the way he taunted defenders with his impudent tricks and sensational dribbling.

Born in Belfast, Best turned professional with Manchester United in 1963 and within a couple of years had become part of a terrific side which included Bobby Charlton and Denis Law. He played a significant role in United's League championship successes of 1965 and 1967. In between, Best had gained world-wide recognition for his masterful exhibition of skills during a European Cup quarter-final tie against mighty Benfica in the 'Stadium of Light'. He scored the opening two goals of a 5-1 rout United inflicted upon the Portuguese champions. In 1968, Best earned the award of European Footballer of the Year and spearheaded United's winning assault on the European Cup. Another notable event in his often turbulent career was a six-goal haul against Northampton Town on his return to the side after suspension in 1970.

By 1971 Best's drinking was starting to take a toll on his abilities as a player, but it wasn't until 1974 that Manchester United actually sacked/fired him. Over the following ten years he made numerous comebacks with clubs from either side of the Atlantic but was unable to recapture the form that had made him a star. His last professional club was AFC Bournemouth in 1983.

Amongst the self-admitted lowpoints in his life was his drunken appearance on the "Wogan" show in 1991 and a stint in prison for drunken driving back in 1984.

His alcohol problems ultimately led to his untimely death in London on November 25th, 2005.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.