"Harley's Little Black Book #1" (Featuring Wonder Woman), is the first issue of an irregular limited series where Harley Quinn, the villain turned anti-hero, teamed up with various DC characters. The first issue featured Wonder Woman. It was written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, with art by Conner and John Timms. Its cover date was February of 2016, meaning that it predated the Suicide Squad movie from summer of that year, which made the character widely popular.

Harley Quinn and her gang have just found some chemical shipments of a gang, and also discovered that they are part of a plot by some British gangsters to kidnap Wonder Woman. Harley, together with a robotic beaver (?) and a tentacled humpty-dumpty, decide that she should go to London in a shipping container to rescue Wonder Woman. We are treated to a flashback that shows that even in her younger day, Harley Quinn idolized Wonder Woman...although with a twist, of course. Back in the present day, we are introduced to Wonder Woman fighting some gangsters in London, and also to a group of comedic heroes called the "London Legion of Super-Heroes". Quinn, together with this group, is attacked by sleeping gas, but she escapes, and then herself gasses Wonder Woman, switches clothing with her, and fights the gangsters, unsuccessully, only to herself be rescued by Wonder Woman at the last moment, after which everyone goes out to a pub to celebrate and where Wonder Woman gives Quinn a lecture about the necessity to be more honest if she really wants to go straight. Everyone laughs and the story ends.

I probably didn't even have to give that brief plot outline. I have to admit something here: I never really "got" Harley Quinn. Despite being a long time comic reader, the sudden appeal of Harley Quinn both for comics fans and in popular culture slipped by me. And to be honest, I also don't know if it is even still a thing. But this story, with its bright and cartoonish art, and its slapstick storyline that hearkens back to the camp stories of the Batman TV show (and, for that matter, to other 60s spy franchises like James Bond and The Avengers TV Show), seems to put it in context. This is the opposite of an edgy story of a psychotic villain: this is capers in silly costumes. There were a few questions for me about how easily Harley Quinn could change from a character that was symbolic of female codependence on male violence to a slapstick picara, but the balance between gritty crime stories and colorful adventure stories has been an aspect of all characters in the Batman mythos since the beginning. So overall, while I could ring my hands about the larger sociological implicated of Harley Quinn, this was a fun and fast-moving story that I enjoyed.

And speaking of enjoyed, I hope it isn't prurient that I thought the entire "Wonder Woman in Harley Quinn outfit/Harley Quinn in Wonder Woman outfit" was appealing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.