This recipe produces an insanely tasty and very healthy white fish dish with an Indian-style flavor in less than 10 minutes of total combined prep and cook time.


Ingredients

several white fish fillets (tilapia, cod, haddock, pollock, etc.)
turmeric powder
garam masala
cumin powder
black mustard seeds (optional)
garlic powder
ginger powder
salt
pepper
1/2 onion
mushrooms
1/2 red bell pepper
fresh spinach


Method

1. Dice half an onion into small squares (1 1/2 minutes)

2. Take a pan or skillet and pour in just enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I use canola oil because it's high in Omega-3 and low in saturated fat. Add the turmeric powder, garam masala, and cumin powder. The exact amount does not matter - a dash of each is fine. Optionally, throw in a bunch of black mustard seeds for an additional, slight nutty flavor accent. Sauté on medium-high for 30 seconds until the spices start to give off a delicious aroma but are not yet burned, or until the black mustard seeds start popping up off the bottom of the pan. (30 seconds)

3. Add the diced onions and sauté for one minute or until the onion starts to become translucent. (1 minute)

4. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 30 seconds. (30 seconds)

5. Add the fish. Sprinkle a bunch of garlic powder, ginger powder, salt, and pepper on the fish (to taste). Add some water - less water if you want the dish to be more dry, and more water if you want it to have a delicious soup-like broth. Cover and simmer on highest heat for 5 minutes.

6. While the fish is simmering, dice half a red bell pepper into small squares. After the fish has simmered for 5 minutes, add the red bell pepper and as much spinach as you want. Cover again and simmer for 1 more minute, or until the spinach is wilted but not cooked.

That's it - you're all done! You now have an amazingly tasty and healthy meal in less than 10 minutes of total prep.

I find that this dish works well served over rice, but it also makes nice with bread.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.