The idea of an infallible God, or an infallible person is an interesting one.

After all if God really is Infallible, doesn't that raise the whole problem of evil paradox? But moving away from Him, lets consider one of his agents, for example the Pope. Very nice man, Holy, and deeply spiritual.

However, he recently apologised for the catholic church's mistakes in the past. Which raises the point about whether his predecessors were infallible in their primary duty of leading the church.

After all would God have allowed them to err so much that they needed to make a public apology? Or are the church just being polite, and don't really acknowledge the harm they caused? (I don't believe the last sentence btw, I think they are sincere, but it is worth considering.)

Where does all this leave Infallibility?

In*fal"li*ble (?), a. [Pref. in- not + fallible: cf. F. infallible.]

1.

Not fallible; not capable of erring; entirely exempt from liability to mistake; unerring; inerrable.

Dryden.

2.

Not liable to fail, deceive, or disappoint; indubitable; sure; certain; as, infallible evidence; infallible success; an infallible remedy.

To whom also he showed himself alive, after his passion, by many infallible proofs. Acts i. 3.

3. R. C. Ch.

Incapable of error in defining doctrines touching faith or morals. See Papal infallibility, under Infallibility.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.