Some things are timeless.
Like jumping into a pile of freshly-raked autumn leaves, carving pumpkins, and faith.

A piano plays a familiar tune and we see cartoon feet shuffle across the screen. A pumpkin larger than the kid pushing it rolls along, on its way to becoming a jack-o-lantern. This is how we know it's almost Halloween.

The animated short film is older than I am; born in 1966 to the writing of Charles M. Schulz and the directing of Bill Melendez. It is classic Peanuts--bigger than you or I and an institution of its own. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

"Every year on Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere and flies through the air with his pack of toys for all the good little children in the world." This year, Linus will see him. He will keep the faith and wait, like the devout and pious Peanut that he is, for the Great Pumpkin to arrive. He's already found the most sincerest pumpkin patch around.

For 25 minutes we celebrate Halloween with the Peanuts gang. We laugh when Lucy Van Pelt bobs for apples and kisses Snoopy, instead. Dog germs! Blech! We sympathize with Charlie Brown when all the other kids get candy when they Trick-or-Treat, while he gets rock after rock. Most importantly, though, we identify with Linus, who is struggling with his childlike faith and the cynicism of the world around him.

The Vince Guaraldi Trio's "Great Pumpkin Waltz" gives a whole new meaning to chilly evenings, cool costumes, warm socks and hot apple cider. And, while Santa Claus does have better publicity, nothing's better than an afternoon spent believing in the Great Pumpkin.

Cast Listing:

Charlie Brown	  Peter Robbins
Linus		  Christopher Shea
Lucy		  Sally Dryer
Peppermint Patty	  Lisa DeFaria
Sally		  Cathy Steinberg
Schroeder           Chris Doran
Snoopy		  Bill Melendez

All hail imbd.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.