Home of baseball's Cleveland Indians. Opened in 1994, replacing Cleveland Stadium. Often referred to as "The Jake." One of the most successful ballparks built in the 1990s.

In the mid-80s, the Cleveland Indians realized the need to replace Cleveland Stadium ("The Mistake By the Lake," more suited to the NFL's Cleveland Browns than the Indians) with a friendlier and smaller ballpark. The plan for Jacobs Field was similar to the Baltimore Orioles' plan for Oriole Park at Camden Yards: an asymmetrical nostalgic park opening onto a scenic downtown area.

The ballpark features, in addition to a large number of luxury boxes: a 19-foot wall in left field hosting a Fenway Park-style out of town scoreboard; a small park and picnic area outside the centerfield fence (similar to Camden Yards); an enormous video scoreboard in centerfield; and a statue of Hall of Famer Bob Feller guarding the entrance to the park.

The new stadium was extremely popular with fans, and its opening coincided with a string of winning years by the Indians. As a result, Jacobs Field had a remarkable string of 455 consecutive sellouts, spanning 7 baseball seasons.

Jacobs Field has hosted two World Series, in 1995 and 1997; and one All-Star game, in 1997. It is named for Richard E. Jacobs, owner of the Indians in 1994, who bought the naming rights to the stadium.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.