An Art Show, A Comicon, and a Salon

The art show takes place in a high school, but it's a school with a specialized art department that draws youth from across the region. Artists of tomorrow sell original works for top prices: detailed paintings, graphic novel excepts, multimedial constructions. A young woman displays ceramic tampons and IUDs, calling her exhibit a "Period Piece." I exited up the stairwell at the far end of the building. I could hear sounds, reminiscent of the student film that had earlier drawn me down a hall.

Up one flight a student reclined on his side in a window and watched a video on a sideways laptop. I wanted to put one of those black and white labels from the show on him. It's neither legal nor ethical to purchase humans, but perhaps someone would pay for the concept.

Is that fungible?


The local Comicon returned to life, a Frankenstein of disparate parts: dealers, coplayers, industry professionals, writers, and a figure from the mass media. Mitch Markowitz stops by for the second time in the con's history to talk Hilarious House of Frightenstein, Canadian-made 70s cult show that entertained generations of ten-year-old kids and twentysomething stoners. Even before the con opens, I purchase a retro-raygun toy for $5.00 from a dealer still setting up. The creator of Captain Canuck signs autographs. Original toys go for $60.00. I give a panel.

The presence of children had me second-guessing some of my subtopics. No one was particularly frightened, however, when I threatened them with my raygun.

My publisher had a double-sized booth. My short turn as a dealer, while the rep took a quick tour, proved inadequate. One customer wanted to purchase two books. I was ready with the machine. He held out cash. I didn't have access to the cashbox.

He had to wait.

I met Lue Nuwame and purchased the collection of his comic, Paper, Rock, Scissors. While we chatted his wife purchased a digital copy of Live Nude Aliens and Other Stories.

Across the street in the park, an International Food Fair took place. I listened to a busker, went for lunch with a friend to the local pub that features in "Live Nude Aliens." My wife joined me at the end of the day. We'd hoped to eat at a barbecue chicken place set up in the park, but they'd run out of food.

Sunday I posted a video of the event, blocked in the U.S. due to a copyright issue, and then we returned to a backyard literary salon. We listened to poetry inspired by Beats and Moderns, Paris and post-absurdists, and a piece of a dramatic performance in progress. My wife sang "Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes" and "Scarborough Faire."

I read from "The Book of Den(n)is" and immediately sold two books to one of the other writers attending.

This evening I sent a new and much-revised story out. We will see who might be interested.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.