The Columbia River is a very large river, being America's second largest river that drains into the ocean. The Willamette River, which drains the precipitous Willamette Valley, is also a large river. The meeting of two such large rivers would seemingly be an important geographical point, even on a national scale.

The Columbia and Willamette Rivers also come together in Portland, Oregon, a city well known for its environmental consciousness, and for a population that enjoys outdoor activities. Portland is full of parks, and full of ruddy cheeked people in olive clothing enjoying them.

So it would follow that the park where the two rivers come together would be an important landmark in the Portland area, with a beautiful, monumental natural area, full of people enjoying the natural splendor. The park that is actually there, Kelley Point Park, is not quite what might be expected. The area where the two rivers come together is in the far north of Portland, far from residential areas, where the Port of Portland has many facilities, and where there are many industrial parks, separated by narrow strips of wetlands where deer graze in daylight. The northern part of Portland is an undervisited area for many Portlanders. So Kelley Point Park is nowhere near as busy as it should be. The park is scenic enough, especially for those who wish to watch the non-event of the Willamette and Columbia peacefully flowing together. The park has some paths and a small amount of landscaping, as well as some historical markers, but is not otherwise very notable. The vegetation is also unremarkable, being mostly species that grow on disturbed ground (such as nettle), or invasive species, such as the Himalyan Blackberry. The park also is immediately next to an auto-deshipping yard, which might distract from some people's enjoyment.

I actually prefer the park as it is. The main attraction of the park is the beach, and the ability to see ships passing to and from the Port of Portland and The Port of Vancouver. At least for me, the somewhat unkempt appearence just makes the park feel more unique.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.