A small town on Scotland's West Coast, nestled on the southern side of the Firth of Clyde.

It is most notable as the home of: the ferries to Millport and the rest of the Isle of Cumbrae; the 'Inverclyde' Scottish national sports training centre, and of Nardini's ice cream factory, ice cream parlour and chip shop*.

Oh, and for various drunken high-jinks the Scotland team** have got up to during training camp stays - normally involving beer, a boat and a beach.


* One of the only chips shops in the known universe where you can get both a deep-fried haggis in batter, and a carry-out sea-trout with salad and chips.
** In Scotland adding which sport the team play at is superfluous - it's always going to be football***. There are specific times and places times when it might be referring to the national team for some other sport, but this will always be clear from the context - such as mooching around outside Murrayfield on a day when France are playing Scotland in the Six Nations tournament, when it's distinctly possible to be the Rugby team folk are talking about.
*** i.e. the oldest of the many football games with formal rules and organising bodies. The oldest international fixture of any of the many football games is the Scotland-England match****. Formally, footbal' is known as 'Association Football'.
****This fixture was suspended in the Eighties as feelings between the two sets of supporters were running rather too high for the authorities' liking.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.