I've heard the stories. They say there was a kid who came to Cana and turned water to wine. Filled six stone waterpots just like that. At a wedding, no less.

As I understand, his cousin John used to lead people into the river and make like he was washing away their sins with the water. The people loved it. Imagine that; a little water and it's like they're reborn.

Now, I'm not very religious, but I do know that a lot of people back then came to know God by rains, floods, seas parting, and oceans of tears. Lots of sorrow in the old days.

Those boys I mentioned? Both of them died on account of misunderstandings. About a year or so apart as I recall. Just a shame, them dying alone and thirsty. And all that water.


I was watching this program on tv once. It said almost 60 percent of the human body is water. The percentage is even higher in human blood and brain matter. Then they had on some woman who talked about how since the Moon's gravity pulls the oceans and makes the tides, our bodies are affected by its pull, too. Biological tides, she called it. I don't really remember the specifics, but it makes sense to me. People get crazy when the Moon's full.

Did you know that the Christian calendar determines Easter's date using the cycle of the Moon? They think the best way to get close to the anniversary of their savior's death is to use the Moon, instead of just making it the same day every year. The very same Moon that's making all those folks crazy once a month. Doesn't that beat all?

This may sound crazy to you, but I believe we're all interconnected. Everything is. And maybe--just maybe--the Moon had something to do with all those people turning against that poor fellow who made the wine. Who knows, right? Maybe it was their own personal tides turning.

Take a glass to your kitchen sink. Fill it to the brim with ordinary tap water. That's right--fill it up to the edge. See how it hangs there, just at the top of the glass? Surface tension. Even bugs know about it. That's how some of them, like water striders, can walk on top of the water.

Speaking of, didn't they say that boy walked on water? Just strode out to the middle of the sea, calm as a millpond. I wasn't there or anything, so I can't claim as to know. But I can say this: life is full of miracles.


In all my years, I've tried to put together a small list of things I know for sure. Here's what I've got:

I know that when light kisses water, rainbows appear.

I know that the glass is always completely full.

I know that the ocean is made of drops.

and I know that, when I can look upon the water, I am not so alone after all.

Water has a lot of incredible properties. It is one of the only liquids that expands and becomes less dense as it cools. Water contracts down to just above freezing, then begins to expand. Without this property when lakes froze everything that lived in the water would die- instead the cover of ice traps heat and enables fish and other water-dwelling animals to hibernate under a floating cover.

Water is strongly attracted to other water molecules because it is partially charged. Because the hydrogen atoms are negatively charged and the oxygen atom is positively charged water molecules tend to cluster together, which has two important implications for life- the property of surface tension as well as capillary action. Capillary action is when water molecules in close proximity are pulled along by the weak bonds between the molecules. Trees use this principle to ensure a supply of water-dissolved nutrients to leaves.

And besides all that, watching the flickering glints of light off the waves in the morning or walking by its glossy blackness at night is soothing. It is something that moves us on a level that can't be explained. Perhaps it is because long ago we lived there and part of us, however dimly, longs to go home.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.